Sites at Risk
New to the Sites at Risk map? Watch our How to... guidance videos to help you get started.
Ballone Castle (4705)
- Current Priority
- Site Type
See Highland HER records MHG8335 and 51726.
Linear banks of stones can be seen. HER record says they do not appear to be enclosures however, when looking at them from the cliff top they have the appearance of enclosures.
Condition and current recommendations:
- Visit - characterise site and obtain dating evidence
Over to you...
If you know there are errors in the original site record you can edit the original record here
If you would like to visit the site and carry out a ShoreUPDATE survey, you can prepare a ShoreUPDATE pack for this site (PDF) here.
If you want to use your smart phone to carry out the ShoreUPDATE survey, you can download the app here.
If you have completed a field survey of this site, you can submit your ShoreUPDATE record here.
1 ShoreUpdate accepted and 0 pending.
Click on an update to expand it.
23rd January, 2014 by JonieCG
- Jan. 23, 2014
- Tidal state:
- Site located?:
- Proximity to coast edge:
- coast edge
- Coastally eroding?:
- has eroded in the past
- Is there a coastal defence?:
- Other threats?:
- stock erosion; vegetation growth; animal burrows
See Highland HER records MHG8335 and 51726. Linear banks of stones can be seen. HER record says they do not appear to be enclosures however, when looking at them from the cliff top they have the appearance of enclosures.
- How visible are the remains? (above ground):
- limited visibility (partial remains)
- How visible are the remains? (in section):
- limited visibility in section
- How accessibile is the site?:
- easily accessible- no restrictions; accessible on foot (footpath)
- The site is:
- has local associations/history
Comments and recommendations
If these are enclosures they could be contemporary with the castle.
not eroding, remove from priorities